Lyon Parilly Tips and Racecourse Guide
Lyon Parilly plays host to both flat and jumps racing through the season in the suburbs of France’s gastronomic capital.
Not too dissimilar to either Saint-Cloud for flat racing or Auteuil for jumps, Lyon Parilly’s races tend to be very fair and take place on a wonderful racing surface.
Lyon Parilly races in two parts – March to June and then September to December.
The grandstand was renovated in 2014 and the restaurant has 150 covers. The ‘buvette’ (burger van) next to the parade ring is also atmospheric and provides a fantastic vantage point for a few hours.
In recent years the flat stars to have graduated from Lyon Parilly include:
- In Swoop – broke his maiden on his 3yo debut and went on to place 2nd in the 2020 Prix de l’Arc
- Erupt – won his first two races at Parilly before landing the Group One Grand Prix de Paris and then finishing fifth in the 2015 Prix de l’Arc
- Different League – won on her juvenile debut and then won the 2017 Albany Stakes at Royal Ascot
Over jumps, two recent graduates from the Lyon Parilly flat stand out over those to have jumped around Lyon:
- Lac Fontana – winner of the 2014 County Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival
- French Aseel – scored by 22 lengths on jumps debut and sold onto Willie Mullins
Lyon Parilly Tips
After what has been a very quiet summer for the yard, Chantilly-based Hiroo Shimizu has his team in blistering form and Myunclecharlie could give him another winner at Lyon this afternoon (3.27pm).
He strung together three good runs on turf early in the year, finishing runner-up in class 2 company at Cagnes in February on just his second career start. Though only fifth at Fontainebleau next time, he travelled well in front and kept on battling when headed. The form couldn’t have worked out much better, with the first three all subsequently gaining black-type – also the case when fourth at Saint-Cloud on his next outing.
The drop in trip looks a good move for this first run since April and it is fair to say the competition is a good few notches down from what he was facing in Paris in the spring. We are taking fitness on trust, but he has every chance on form and with the yard going so well, there is a strong chance he will be ready to do himself justice.
3.27pm Lyon – 1pt win, 0.5pt place Myunclecharlie (6-1 all firms)
Lyon Parilly Top Trainers (2020)
1. Jean-Pierre Gauvin 14 wins (19%)
2. Fabrice Chappet 6 wins (29%)
3. Christophe Escuder 6 wins (13%)
4. Carlos and Yann Lerner 4 wins (27%)
5. Philippe Decouz 4 wins (14%)
1. Emanuel Clayeux 10 wins (20%)
2. Francois Nicolle 5 wins (33%)
3. Gabriel Leenders 3 wins (19%)
4. Mathieu Pitart 3 wins (11%)
5. Joel Boisnard 2 wins (67%)
Lyon Parilly Top Jockeys (2020)
1. Pierre-Charles Boudot 12 wins (40%)
2. Marie Velon 8 wins (16%)
3. Franck Blondel 6 wins (10%)
4. Mickael Barzalona 5 wins (20%)
5. Maxime Guyon 5 wins (13%)
1. Matthieu Chailloleau 8 wins (31%)
2. Benjamin Gelhay 4 wins (19%)
3. Angelo Zuliani 3 wins (60%)
4. Clement Lefebvre 3 wins (30%)
5. Michel-Ange Mermel 2 wins (11%)
How to get there
Lyon Parilly is very easy to get to on Lyon’s efficient public transport and costs just €1.90 each way. From Place Bellecour in the centre, take the green metro line D east to Grange Blanche and change onto the purple tram line T2 in the direction of St Priest.
Lyon Parilly has its own tram stop called Parilly-Université.
Lyon Parilly Top Races
Listed Prix Bedel
Listed Grand Prix de Lyon
Listed Critérium de Lyon
Listed Prix du Grand Camp
Grand Cross de Lyon – Prix André Baboin
Listed Grand Steeple-Chase de Lyon – Prix Claude Gindre
Grande Course de Haies de Lyon
Course de Haies d’Automne
Course de Haies des 3 ans – Prix Jean Boulard
Prix Vetagro-Sup – Campus Vétérinaire de Lyon (cross country)
Lyon Parilly Map
Lyon Parilly Tips Archives
The claimer at Lyon (11.20am) is a really moderate affair, as one would expect with 8-12K claiming tags, but there is a bit of value in the price of Malaaw. The six year old's last win came here in 2019 and he ran well in two handicaps here off marks of 31.5 in June...
Though he'll need to take a step forwards on the form he showed on debut, there are reasons to expect a better showing from Hilaire in the two year old maiden (2.20pm). The son of Muhaarar is from the really classy and precocious 'Swiss' family (the dam is a sister to...
One at Lyon Parilly this afternoon, with Tombecka looking a likely improver on her second start in the mile maiden (3.27pm). The trio with official ratings, Captious, Luycayano and Pennybaker, don't set an insurmountable standard, whereas Tombecka showed a good deal...
The opening race at Lyon Parilly (10.15am) might not take that much winning and at the prices, Hors Pair looks worth chancing. He showed ability on his sole start as a three year old and was in the process of running well when falling on his chase debut (and just...
Our first bet in France today is a newcomer at Lyon Parilly, but I think the price is far too big this morning and it is worth taking the chance. The standard set by those at the head of the market looks no more than average and as a filly newcomer and ridden by Marie...